Fight Against Fraud
As an insurance company we are committed to the fight against fraud. It is everyone’s responsibility to prevent it, and that is why good practice, fair treatment and good faith must shape the pillars of our actions as insurers and policyholders.
According to Resolution number 38.477 from the National Insurance Superintendence, fraud is every action or omission aimed at illegitimately obtaining a benefit on the part of the policyholder, third parties, insurance agents, garages, doctors, lawyers, suppliers and employees, as well as other professionals taking part in the event of insurance contracting, issuance and/or accounting, or in an incident production, communication, intervention and/or repair.
It is a crime legal, ethical and socially punishable, since it causes damage on the community as a whole. In terms of insurance, it affects the activity both economically and ethically, the most visible impact is the rising premium cost at the expense of the policyholders. Therefore, in Sancor Seguros we deployed the necessary measures and procedures in order to discourage the spread of this scourge and we are committed to warn our policyholders, beneficiaries and/or affected people about the existence of fraud in the insurance market.
To that effect, we share recommendations in order to avoid contributing, on a voluntary or involuntary basis, to perpetrate fraudulent practices:
- Never sign blank complaint or reporting forms.
- Do not accept money, sign documents or arrange power of attorney when their scope and effects are not understood. Do not acknowledge fallacious or unreal occurrence facts, and do not accept legal assistance from unknown third parties.
- When it comes to things, do not modify or worsen their condition (except for the rescue measure) in order to fraudulently overstate the damage.
- Never simulate or misrepresent personal, temporary and place actions, total or partial damage of an incident, since all these acts represent very common forms of fraud that unfortunately in many cases are considered in a natural way, without understanding their seriousness. Likewise, false statements can make the contract null with intentional attitude or in bad faith consequences.
- Always avoid contributing or involving with fraud practice.
- Never share your policy data with third parties if there is no justified reason.
- Do not modify or simulate facts that change the real occurrence of an accident.
- With regards to unusual ocurrence incidents, when those involved are third parties on foot, bicycles or motorbikes whose circumstances are not clear in their development, take all the steps. It is important to collect information from real witnesses, evidence by means of photographies, filming material of the incident circumstances in order not to be distorted.
- The insurance company will give you the best answer in the event of doubt or contingency.
- In the case of incident, make a complaint to the insurance company and ask for the claim incident number.
- If your vehicle was stolen or you suffered from an incident that caused injury, you must report it to the police authorities and file the respective complaint.
- Remember that it is not forbidden to insure the same interest and the same risk in several insurance companies, but in the event of an incident you must inform all the companies involved. Similarly, the compensation may not exceed the amount of the damage sustained, nor can you charge for an incident that was repaired by another insurance company.
- Insurance contribution payments are handled by channels enabled by the Insurance Company or Insurance Producer Adviser.
- Do not purchase spare parts or auto parts of doubtful origin. In the event of making use of a chop shop, verify that it is legally regulated and the products are duly certified and identified.
- The purchase of vehicles must meet the legal criteria without lack of title of vehicle property, debt-free certificate or police verifying. Non compliance with these requirements can lead to a serious offence. Remember to perform the transfer when you sell or buy a vehicle.
- Purchase goods only in shops which deliver purchase invoice.
As a reinsurance company we are not going to give up fighting for fraud prevention and eradication. For this reason, it is important for all of us to play a role against this form of illegal behaviour. If you notice suspicious acts, you can communicate with us and report them. We ensure absolute confidenciality about the information provided.
You can write to email@example.com trying to provide as much information as possible in order to help us with the investigation of the case.
We can all prevent fraud.